Shopping and other stuff
Paying full price can make you feel ripped off, if not downright robbed. But you can save a substantial amount by being a smart shopper.
- Duke Stores has a 31% off sale every Halloween. Remember that.
- Shelf Relief is an easy and safer way of buying and selling used books, and it started at Duke.
- Shop around. There are lots of online retailers (Amazon, half.com, etc.) that have the books you need. And remember your Amazon student discount—pay no shipping costs for a year.
- Don’t forget to sell your unneeded textbooks at the end of each semester!
- Haircuts – Only $19 at Aveda in Chapel Hill
- Software – Free through Duke’s Office of Informational Technology
- Computers – Better prices through the Duke Computer Store or a “deals” website (see below)
- Cloud data storage – Back up your files for free on various websites such as Dropbox
- Books - Buy and sell used books
- UNC Dental – discounted dental care
- Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club Executive Club membership
You can also use smart phone apps to hunt for bargains:
- Barcode Scanner – checkout area prices by scanning the barcode into your phone
- Gas Buddy – find the cheapest gas in your area
Deals websites have been around for a long time, and daily coupon websites have recently become very popular. Check out these choices:
Finally, if you are unsure how you can afford something, go talk to someone in our Financial Aid office; there may be some available source of funding for whatever you’re considering. For instance, did you know that every year, Duke students go to Israel for an extremely low price? Take Duke by the horns and get what you came for.
- Manage Your Finances
- Make Today's Decisions
- Prepare for Your Future
- Save Money At Duke
- Request a Workshop